[PyKDE] logging

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sun Aug 1 22:45:01 BST 2004

On Sunday 01 August 2004 09:34, Lionel Roubeyrie wrote:
> Ok Jim, I use Sip 3 and now the import is good, but :
>
> Erreur de segmentation
> Arrrrrrrggggg
> I don't understand how kdesu works or shall I have to switch to Sip4?

KDEsuClient is a dialog and can't be run without a KApplication instance,
meaning you can only run it from within a program, not from the interpreter.

However, the best I can get it to do within a program is return -1. Even if I
force PyKDE to pass it valid arguments (by modifying the PyKDE C++ code), the
KDE C++ kdesu lib 'exec' method (exec_ in Python) won't popup the dialog and
execute it.

Since every error in the KDEsuClient C++ code returns -1, it's impossible to
tell which of about 20 different things is causing it to fail (although I'm
not getting a diagnostic back from KDE which might narrow it down).

The bottom line is that the kdesu module doesn't appear to work at present or
at least I don't know how to get it to work. The problem appears to on the
KDE (not PyKDE) side, so it's going to take quite a while to figure out what
the problem is. The PyKDE/sip machinery all appears to work correctly.

In the meantime, you can try using KPasswordEdit to get the password from the
user; I'm not sure how to validate the password from Python though. The
problem would be reading /etc/shadow.

The other alternative is to require the user to be root to start the program,
in which case you can run kdesu when invoking the program.

Jim