[PyKDE] Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Pyqt-mac-list] Re: Eric 3

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Dec 22 15:40:00 GMT 2004

On Dec 22, 2004, at 9:46, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Your path looks correctly set up to me. If you have the Pythonmac
> extensions installed, that's important, as my Eric3 app bundle actually
> makes use of the Python interpreter embedded in the PythonIDE. (That
> will be corrected in the next release of the entire package.)
> Therefore,
> it's not clear to me why Eric3 isn't seeing the Qt module, assuming
> that
> you're running the Eric3 version from /Applications.
>
> I'm wondering if the problem is, in fact, because you replaced the
> Apple
> - -installed version of Python with your own framework build. My
> package
> assumes the standard Apple installation, and I believe the PyQt source
> assumes this also. I'm not an expert on the internals of framework
> builds of Python, but my understanding is that ripping out Apple's
> build
> of Python can break things in unexpected ways.
>
> I'm copying my reply to the PythonMac and PyKDE lists: perhaps Jack
> Jansen (MacPython maintainer) or Phil Thompson (PyQt author) can shed
> more light on that aspect of your problem.
>
> I'll also see if I can find out more on my end.
>
> Jay Mutter wrote:
> |
> | Yes i did set QTDIR and referring back to Brian's previous post i do
> | think that it is some sort of path problem but i am not sure what.
> |
> | Anyway i only run Python 2.3.4 ( i terminated Apple's version long
> ago
> | to avoid problems)

And yet, you caused them.  This is probably the root if your problem.
Messing with files in /System or /usr (except for /usr/local) is a
recipe for disaster.  There's always a better way to "replace"
something, usually as simple as just putting /usr/local/bin (or other)
early on in your PATH.

My suggestion:  Reinstall OS X, and don't screw it up this time.

> | from running env  i got
> |

> | PATH=/Developer/qt/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/
> | usr/local/lib:/usr/local/pgsql:/usr/local/pgsql/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/
> | include:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:/System/Library/Frameworks/
> |
> Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin:/library/frameworks/
> python.framework/
> | versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages

What the heck is site-packages doing in sys.path?

> | DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Developer/qt/lib:
> | PYTHONPATH=/system/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/
> | lib/python2.3/site-packages/

You should basically never set PYTHONPATH

> | from running $PATH i got
> | -bash:
> | /Developer/qt/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/
> | local/lib:/usr/local/pgsql:/usr/local/pgsql/lib:/usr/local/pgsql/
> | include:/usr/local/pgsql/bin:/System/Library/Frameworks/
> |
> Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin:/library/frameworks/
> python.framework/
> | versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages: No such file or directory

running $PATH?  What the heck?  If you mean typing just $PATH at a bash
prompt, of course it's going to say no such file or directory, it's not
supposed to do anything useful.

> | My .bash_profile is
> |
> | # .bash_profile
> | PYTHONPATH=/system/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/
> | lib/python2$
> | export PYTHONPATH

These lines shouldn't ever be necessary

> | QTDIR=/Developer/qt
> | PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
> | DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
> | export QTDIR PATH DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

This looks right enough.  Typically DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is a terrible,
awful, evil thing to do, but that's how Qt works.

-bob