[PyKDE] curious about multiple installs

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 10:58:01 GMT 2004

On Saturday 07 February 2004 12:32 am, Patrick Stinson wrote:
> As it turns out, PyKDE-3.8.0 is only compatible with sip-3.8 and PyQt-3.8,
> and I need to use the sip snapshots to get my sip-based C++ module to
> compile correctly.
>
> See article:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/06/1336234&mode=thread&tid=146&tid
>=187&tid=98&tid=99
>
> So, it looks like I won't be able to use my module with PyKDE (something
> I've now decided to do) until PyKDE supports a newer version of sip. What
> I've decided to do while I wait is to build and install a seperate instance
> of pytho/sip/pyqt/pykde that uses the old versions. I tried this with
> previous versions (didn't seem worth the effort), but it seems that an
> unprivelaged user can build them now, so I was curious if this sort of
> thing was possible. Also, am I wrong about the first part of the message?

The permissions issue is that the old build.py build system required write
permission on site-packages during *compilation*. The new configure.py build
system requires write permission on site-packages during *installation*.
However, if you are using a local private copy of Python for development
purposes then either build system is fine.

My own development setup is a private copy of the latest version of Qt, a
private copy of Python 1.5.2 (which I use to develop SIP 3), and a private
copy of the latest version of Python (which I use to develop SIP 4). These
are all separate from my disto's versions of Qt, Python, SIP and PyQt (which
happens to be Gentoo).

The next release of PyKDE will solve the interdependency problems, hopefully
once and for all. For example, I expect to release PyQt 3.11 fairly soon, but
the next version of SIP 3 will probably be 3.10.1 and be some time later.