[PyKDE] KControl Modules II

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Sat Jan 3 11:48:01 GMT 2004

Hello all,

The last we touched this issue we were kind of stuck with python kcontrol
modules kind of working except when you have more than one python module.
Trying to run a second python module in the same process (kcontrol) runs into
disaster. (just doesn't work). Is this correct summary of the current
situation?

Now, what is interesting in kcontrol is that when you run a root-only module
by clicking on the "Administrator Mode" button the module is then started up
outside kcontrol (using kcmshell I think) in a separate process and the
contents of the module are then embedded in the kcontrol window. To the user
it looks all normal, but under the surface the module is running in its own
process.

Could this same approach be used to run python modules in kcontrol? (Instead
of having an "Administrator Mode" button, python modules would have to be
always started out-of-process and then embedded. Yes, kcontrol would have to
modified a little bit.) I'm fairly sure that it can, but I want to ask you
guys too just to be safe.

I've been helping out with the "KDE on Debian" project lately and being able
to write modules in python is highly desired capability to say the least. :)

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/