[PyKDE] Ximian Red Carpet

Eron Lloyd elloyd at lancaster.lib.pa.us
Thu Jan 15 21:56:00 GMT 2004

This is a bit off-topic, but I'm sure there is some value in it. Since
upgrading my new distro, I thought I'd give the new Red Carpet a spin to
update everything. Upon trying to run it from the CLI, I came upon a python
traceback! Looking into the code, I realized that the entire thing is written
in python using PyGTK+! While they should've definately used PyQt, it's
encouraging to see major enterprise apps looking to python as their
framework. It also looks like PyGTK+ has implemented somewhat of a clone of
signal/slots, with obj.emit() and obj.GTK_SIGNAL(). Next time someone says
that a good, solid solution can't be done using python and a GUI toolkit,
here's another case study.

Peace,

Eron

--