[PyKDE] Custom sorting function for the QListView widget

Troy Melhase troy at gci.net
Sun Jul 4 06:33:00 BST 2004

> Do you know how Python delivers its functions to the C++ interface? I
> mean in this case, would it be justifiable to believe most of the
> performance hit comes from the fact that the C++ QListView sorting
> routine has to call a function that is being run on the Python virtual
> machine a number O(n * log n ) times? Would this incur in a boundry
> cross? If this is the case, I am pretty confident that the solution
> should be heading for C++ in this one.

I suspect that the performance hit comes from crossing the boundary to do the
comparison, yes.  I guess the bright side is that you can subclass
QListViewItem in C++ and compile an extension for it relatively easily.

If you do go this route, could you please post your findings back to the list?

> Thanks for all your help Troy.

Sorry it wasn't more.  :)

Troy Melhase, troy at gci.net
--
When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer