[PyKDE] Help: No module named qt

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Jul 8 01:56:00 BST 2004

On Wednesday 07 July 2004 18:03, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Hello again :-)
>
> I wrote a program (Logical Desktop) that uses PyQt, and nothing else. Now,
> a user of my program tells me:
>
> <quote>
>
> Sounds and looks pretty cool. But I can't get it to work:
> | mss at otherland ~/projects/logicaldesktop/head.clean $ ./logicaldesktop.py
> | Traceback (most recent call last):
> |   File "./logicaldesktop.py", line 41, in ?
> |     from  qt import *
> | ImportError: No module named qt
>
> I have PyQt 3.8.1 installed. Is anything else needed?
> </quote>
>
> What could be happening here? Maybe he has to set some $PATH?
>
> Thanks for any help

Some things to check:

1. Is PyQt installed in python/site-packages? If not, Python needs to be told
where to find it (sys.path or PYTHON_PATH)

2. If installed in python/site-packages, is there more than one version of
Python installed on the system? Is the version of Python running the program
the same one used to build and install PyQt? (That's really the same problem
as (1), but with a different cause)

3. If Python has a path to PyQt, are permissions correct?

4. Is PyQt really there? (For example, did the user forget to run "make
install"?)

5.  Make PyQt/examples3 the current directory and try to run PyQt example
programs.

Note that this isn't a PyQt error because Python can't even find PyQt.

Jim