[PyKDE] Is There a HOWTO for using PyQt in an existing Qt application?

Clay Hopperdietzel hoppy at houston.rr.com
Sat Jul 10 14:49:01 BST 2004

Greetings list:

First off, thanks for all the excellent work.  I've done a bit of work
with PyQT for building small stand-alone applications, and find it a
real productivity booster.

In this regard, I want to share the joy a bit, but have hit something of
a stumbling block.

Professionally, I help maintain some very large C++ applications which
have X/Motif, and recently, newer features added in Qt.  Needless to
say, it was a joy to get the blend of Qt and Motif just right to get it
to work.  We are currently also embedding python in these applications
for purposes of letting the user build some trivial extensions.  We are
developing python modules, which, when loaded into the embedded
interpreter, give access to the internal objects of the application.

It would really be mighty useful to get a recipe together to get PyQT on
the table as well, hence my question.

The QApplication and QMainWindow for the applications are in C++, and,
because of their relationships with the Motif underpinnings, really need
to stay in that form.  I would, however, like to find a way to create
PyQT elements atop this framework.

I would expect that probably an expert on the inner workings of SIP
could lay out an answer quickly, but alas, I haven't had time to delve
into it to the required level.

So, has anybody done this, documented it, or have some small example out
there?  For extra points, my ultimate goal would be to get at least
parts of the eric3 IDE running in the embedded interpreter (help the
user build his scripts).

Thanks for the time,
Clay Hopperdietzel