[PyKDE] Python und GUI-Toolkits

Sibylle Koczian Sibylle.Koczian at bibliothek.uni-augsburg.de
Wed Jun 2 12:27:00 BST 2004

Dear Mr. Lauer,

<shameless self-promotion>

Did you try reading "Python und GUI-Toolkits"? This one aims at giving
you some background to how event driven programs work, what makes a
GUI-Toolkit at all etc. It contains a presentation of a "full-fledged"
application which is layed out GUI-Toolkit independent in the core and
than later on finished with

  * wxWidget
  * PyGTK
  * PyQt
  * Tkinter

</shameless self-promotion>

Very glad to see you're in this list. I've got the book, did part of the
Tkinter version of the application a while ago, but run into difficulties
with the Qt version. After closing the application as it is in step 1a, I
get the message: "Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate".
It seems the circular reference (from the application instance to its main
window and from the main window back to the application) is responsible,
but I don't see a really good way around it.

Moreover in my own application I'd like to use a new style application
class, and with the current version of PyQt/SIP it's not possible to derive
a class from QApplication and from a new style class.

At the moment I've got Python 2.3.3, PyQt 3.11.17, SIP 3.10.1.16, Qt
3.3.1-36.5, running under SuSE Linux 9.1. I hear SIPv4 should solve both
problems, but I don't see how that update can get round the fact of the
circular reference.

Koczian

Dr. Sibylle Koczian
Universitaetsbibliothek, Abt. Naturwiss.
D-86135 Augsburg

Tel.: (0821) 598-2400, Fax : (0821) 598-2410
e-mail : Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.DE