[PyKDE] PyKDE-3.11 final release

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Jun 12 22:05:00 BST 2004

PyKDE-311 is now available at:

  http://www. riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pykde

This code and docs are updated to cover new methods in KDE 3.2.3, and includes
support for writing DCOP client and DCOP-enabled applications (including 2
small examples in the examples/ directory) in the dcopext and dcopexport
modules (installed in the same location as other PyKDE modules) and support
in the kdecore module for packing and unpacking QByteArrays. The DCOP and
QByteArray related stuff is documented in the main docs ("DCOP and
Extensions") beginning at docs/index.html, but not in the classref docs.

This release requires KDE 3.10.2 and PyQt >= 3.11 to build. It will build
against the latest sip 4 snapshot and should build against sip 4.0 when
released in the near future. Note that if you switch to sip 4 you will need
to rebuild PyKDE (and PyQt of course) using sip 4.

This release has been tested against KDE 3.03, 3.1.4, 3.1.5, 3.2.0, 3.2.1,
3.2.2 and 3.2.3 (all on SuSE 8.2, 9.0 or 9.1) and against Mandrake 9.2/KDE
3.1.4. The import problems which occurred with some distributions should now
be fixed, but since I can't replicate the problem here, I have no way of
testing it.

Panel applet support is no longer included with PyKDE, but will be released in
a separate package, probably only supporting sip 4. A number of people are
working on getting applets, KParts, control center modules, IOSlaves, and
related stuff working cleanly, but a release is still a little way off. This
may require some minor modifications to PyKDE which will only be required if
you want to do something in the areas covered in the new package.

Please report any bugs uncovered to the list as soon as possible and I will
get bug fix releases out as quickly as I can. Packagers may want to hold off
for a few days to see if any major problems turn up (and thanks again to all
of those people who package sip, PyQt and PyKDE!).

Jim