[review] [PyKDE] large tables problem

Vicent Mas uvep at ono.com
Wed Jun 23 12:10:01 BST 2004

El Wednesday 23 June 2004 07:10, Jim Bublitz escribio:
> If your application allows it, you can operate the table with fixed number
> of cells/fixed amount of memory, reload the cells as necessary (don't
> destroy/construct new cells), and overload the navigation methods (cursor
> up/down, page up/down, home, end, and the equivalent mouse/scrollbar/button
> operations) to cause a "page fault" and reload the table when navigation is
> about to go outside the range of rows currently displayed.

I was thinking about it, and discarded this possibility because I didn't know
how to overload the navigation methods. In particular I don't know how  can I
do that the scrollbar of a table with let's say 100 rows behaves and looks
like the scrollbar of a table with much more rows. Could you give me a clue,
please?

> There are probably some ways to minimize data movement, but the limiting
> factor for speed is probably redraws. The memory used should then be
> independent of the table size.

Right. This is exactly the goal I'm trying to achieve. Data movement is
already very optimized in my application, but the suggestions you pointed
above still remain to be done.

Thanks a lot Jim. You are the best.
--
Share what you know, learn what you don't