[PyKDE] Intro + question on where to stick finger

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Wed Jun 23 20:22:01 BST 2004

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 23. Juni 2004 11:58 schrieb Mike C. Fletcher:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a fairly advanced Python programmer who is trying to move my
> primary development environment to (Gentoo) Linux from PythonWin.  A
> key part of that migration plan is Eric (which is so far the only IDE
> I've found that fairly closely duplicates the operation of PythonWin
> on Linux), so thanks for writing it!
>
> However, to make myself comfortable enough to actually abandon Win32,
> I'm going to need to make a few changes, so I'm interested in any
> pointers for where to stick my fingers to implement these features
> (btw, most of my GUI design experience is in wxPython, so I'm not up
> to speed on Qt/KDE development yet):
>
>     * single-instance operation -- when I tell Konquerer to edit
>       something with eric3 I'm really wanting it to send the file to
> the currently-running instance or start a new one if there is none
> (otherwise it's *way* too slow).  I can certainly do this with a named
> pipe or something similar, but if there's already an equivalent to
> wxSingleInstanceChecker and something elegant to send events to the
> running instance I'd prefer to use that.
> * adding cvs-on-server
> support -- as far as I can tell, eric's CVS support only works with
> local repositories.
That is not correct. It works with remote repositories as well. You have
to prepend the protocol to the repository path (as you would do using
the cvs command, which is actually used by eric3)

> Since *all* of my projects are hosted on remote
> servers, I'll need to add support for such access to the CVS
> sub-system if it's to be of any use to me.

> * provide package import as
> project -- as far as I can tell there's no way to automatically import
> a Python package as a project. This may just be a newbie UI error, but
> if not, I'd like to add this, though it's actually a pretty low
> priority (i.e. I can work around it, I don't actually *need* project
> support AFAIK)

You can add a directory to the project and all files with the selected
extension will be added.

> * drag-and-drop -- as with single-instance operation,
> when I drag a file from Konquerer onto my IDE, I want it to open the
> file.  I assume this will be a fairly trivial task once I figure out
> KDE's model for D&D.

That part is still on the todo list.