[PyKDE] Bindings and the KDE project

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Thu Mar 18 21:34:01 GMT 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:40 pm, Roberto Alsina wrote:
> I'd love if emphasis switched from "getting PyKDE and PyQt to cover all
> latesst and greatest Qt/KDE" to "let's keep this working, even if some
> corner case breaks". That would let me advice people to install it.

That is kind of what I'm looking for here. A stable version of PyKDE/PyQt that
will be available and working on whatever the current stable release of KDE
is. Updates to this "KDE synced version" would be limited to bug fixes. If
KDE 3.4 shipped for example with a couple extra APIs and PyKDE didn't support
them, it seriously wouldn't bother me too much. I don't think that is real
problem. What is important is that people can always run their Python+KDE
apps.

> But of course, it's up to Jim, Phil & co, since they are the ones coding.

Perhaps a large part of the solution would be stable releases of PyQt/PyKDE
that matched the release/maintainence schedule of KDE itself. I suspect this
would suit the distro packages better too.

Phil and Jim are always free to develop and release stuff outside of the
schedule, but the important thing is that end KDE users would have a base
stable version always available.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/