[PyKDE] Bindings and the KDE project

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Thu Mar 25 11:59:01 GMT 2004

[Sorry for being that late]

On Sunday 21 March 2004 00:48, Jim Bublitz wrote:

> I saw Phil indicate in another msg that the current PyKDE won't
> build against KDE 3.2.1. I haven't gotten far enough to look at
> that yet, so I don't have an explanation. If 3.2.1 is backward
> compatible with 3.2.0, there isn't any reason why that should
> happen. Note that the way I do PyKDE, I never see this happen,
> because I always adjust versioning for each new release
> (automatically too) and never look at the backward compatibility
> issue.

Well, to build PyKDE 3.11[PyQt-3.11,sip-3.10.1] with KDE 3.2.1, all it
take is:

for i in $(find sip -name \*-kde320.diff); do
    o=$(echo $i | sed "s|kde320|kde321|g")
    i=$(basename $i)
    ln -s $i $o
done
ln -s kde320 extra/kde321

and a little (dirty) quickfix (attached). I found a small glitch
in configure.py, concerning the -d option (attached). Please apply
this one, Jim.

> The other changes I'd like to consider is dropping kjs (and maybe
> one or two other of the current modules) and adding kab. kjs
> always turns out to be a lot of work for some reason, and I
> don't think anyone uses it. Also, the panel applet/plugin type
> stuff needs work too.

kab would be be 1000 times more useful for an average PyKDE hacker,
then kjs, which seems only useful for a full featured PyKDE based
web browser. BTW, does anybody know, if khtml pick up js
automatically, or is some kjs activation stub needed?

Pete