[PyKDE] Few eric3 usability comments

Kirill Lapshin kir at lapshin.net
Thu May 6 07:08:01 BST 2004

Hello,

Few small annoying things:

1. "Go to line" dialog has line number set to 1 by default. It would be
nice to select the value, otherwise I am hitting Ctrl-G, starting to
type say 23, hit enter, and then cursing why eric threw me to line 123.

2. When I hit "run script", and my file has syntax error, Eric nicely
highlights error, but does not move cursor on that line. So I am
starting to move cursor with arrow keys and... editor window scrolls
back to position where my cursor originally was. It would be nice to
move cursor to first error.

3. When autocompletion box appears it is quite hard to get out of it. I
would expect that almost any operation, other than typing should close
the autocompletion box. Currently I can't move cursor, can't navigate
menu, can't use toolbar while autocompletion is open.

4. Another weird thing with autocompletion. It's not biggy, but it makes
3 even more annoying. Suppose I am typing "foobar", I typed "foob", and
my autocompletion box has just one choice left -- "foobar", I type "a",
everything fine so far, I type "r", and for some reason autocompletion
box is still open, even though I fully typed "foobar" already, there are
no other identifiers starting with "foobar", so autocompletion is
useless at this point, but box is still there. It makes 3 even more
annoying because after I finished typing identifier I am more likely to
do something else than typing, but open box prevents me from moving
forward. I have to Esc out of it.

--Kirill