[PyKDE] PyKDE Update - 5/5/04

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu May 6 08:03:01 BST 2004

I expect to have an rc1 version of PyKDE ready in a few days,
barring any major unforeseen problems. This release has few
changes in configure.py or the PyKDE code (a few bug fixes).

The release will make the kjs module optional (only built if you
specify -m for configure.py), adds a new kmdi module, and
includes documentation. It's an rc1 release just to catch any
remaining problems that turn up.

Basically I just need to make sure PyKDE builds and runs on
various platforms/KDE versions, tidy up a bit, and then it
should be done. I don't yet have a Mdk 10, SuSE9.1 or Fedora
environment, so I'd appreciate reports from users of those.
I'll be testing on various SuSE 8-9, Mdk 9 and RH 9 platforms.

The docs are changed for this release - they're provided as HTML
only and don't link to the KDE docs. KDE has changed the HTML
tagging for methods and it isn't easy to link the PyKDE docs
that way any longer. I may look at some way of doing that in the
future, or there may be other documentation options coming.

You should still refer to the KDE C++ class reference docs for
kdelibs to find out how things work; the PyKDE docs basically
just provide the Python signatures and return types for methods,
and indicate which methods aren't implemented. You should refer
to the PyKDE docs when coding, as the Python versions of some
methods take different arg lists or return different types (in
some cases return tuples or Python data structures).

Jim