[PyKDE] Few eric3 usability comments

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Fri May 7 18:23:02 BST 2004

Am Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2004 08:35 schrieb Simon Edwards:
> On Thursday 06 May 2004 07:06, Kirill Lapshin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Few small annoying things:
>
> While we are on the topic, I've been using Eclipse at work lately and
> here are some of its features and things that I would like to see show
> up in Eric:
>
> * Can the syntax checker be run automatically or continuously? or even
> just everytime that you save a file?

I could make the last one a configurable thing. I will add it to the wish
list.

> * Eclipe has a Task List feature where you can add tasks to be done
> and then check then off when they are completed. Compile errors are
> automatically added to the list, but what I find cool is that you can
> write:
>
>   // FIXME too buggy
>
> in your code and Eclipse will add that as a task.

That sounds interesting. Will add it to the wishlist. No promise when it
will appear.

> * http://www.oio.de/public/opensource/eclipse/eclipse_editor.jpg
> Eclipe uses space to the left of the editor to display icons
> indicating lines with errors or tasks etc

eric3 does something like this as well. Unfortunately the Python syntax
checker (part of Python) stops at the first error, which is highlighted
by eric3.

> and the space to the right
> of the editor (next to the scrollbar) to show errors and tasks in the
> whole file. (see the red block in the picture). Perhaps the beginning
> and end of methods/classes could also be indicated next to the
> scrollbar.

QScintilla has no right margin, where something could be indicated.

> * Eclipse has a navigation feature where you can jump to the last
> position where a change occurred. I'm not sure if it works all that
> well, but it made me think. Wouldn't it be cool if the editor
> indicated which lines had been recently changed (maybe as a white
> block next to the scrollbar) and over time the white block would fade.
> Old changes would fade away as you created new changes (and hence new
> white blocks). I probably should create a screenshot of something to
> demostrate this idea.

Maybe you should post this as a feature request of the QScintilla editor
widget.

> cheers,

Detlev
--