[review] [PyKDE] missing pythonize.h in PyKDE-3.11rc1?

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri May 21 06:04:00 BST 2004

On Thursday 20 May 2004 17:10, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Simon's guidance on my debian sid machine, but I
> encountered the following problem.
>
> running build_kcm
> libtool --mode=compile g++ -pthread -c -g -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g
> -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I/usr/include -I/usr/include
> -I/usr/include/python2.3 -I/usr/include/python2.3 -I/usr/include/kde
> -I/usr/include/qt3 -I. serviceconfig/kcm_serviceconfig.cpp -o
> serviceconfig/serviceconfig.lo
>  g++ -pthread -c -g -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
> -Wstrict-prototypes -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/python2.3
> -I/usr/include/python2.3 -I/usr/include/kde -I/usr/include/qt3 -I.
> serviceconfig/kcm_serviceconfig.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o
> serviceconfig/.libs/serviceconfig.o
> serviceconfig/kcm_serviceconfig.cpp:11:23: pythonize.h: No such file or
> directory
>
> (I cut off the rest of the backtrace.)
> As you might have expected, line 11 in kcm_serviceconfig.cpp is
>
> #include <pythonize.h>
>
> I do not have pythonize.h on my system, but there is a libpythonize.html in
> the doc/ of PyKDE, which says that libpythonize should be included in the
> PyKDE distribution, but apparently it's not. The doc is headed with
> "version 3.7", so I'm not sure if my PyKDE is up to date.
>
> PyKDE is version 3.11rc1. There seems to be PyKDE 3.8 around, but on
> sourceforge, I could only find a Mandrake RPM, which wouldn't link to
> libsip.so here. (I converted them with alien.) According to this ML,
> 3.11rc1 is the latest release. Compiling PyKDE went 'okayish', apart from
> the - already mentioned - problems importing modules. (libkdefx... IIRC). I
> workarounded that by adding site-packages/ to ld.so.conf as a temporary
> solution.
>
> Here's a list of my relevant installed software:
> pyqt-tools                        3.11-3
> python-qt-dev                     3.11-3
> python-qt3                        3.11-3
> python-qtext                      3.11-3
> python2.3-qt3                     3.11-3
> python2.3-qtext                   3.11-3
> python2.3-sip-qt3                 3.10.1-2
> sip                               3.10.1-2
> g++ (GCC) 3.3.3 (Debian 20040429)
> libtool                           1.6-0+1.5a-3
> Python 2.3.3 (#2, May  1 2004, 06:12:12)
> KDE 3.2.2
>
> Finally, here's my list of questions:
> (1) Do I already have the latest version? If not, where can I get a source
> package of the newest? (I'm a little confused about the version numbering.)
> (2) How can I fix this error? :-)

Simon will have to help you out with this one. Right now I'm not supporting
libpythonize as part of PyKDE, and Simon and David Boddie are doing the work
on that. If you have PyKDE-3.8, you can take the libpythonize stuff from
there, but the build stuff for that was a little buggy, depending on which
PyKDE-3.8 version you have. PyKDE itself won't support KDE 3.2.2, but
libpythonize doesn't even care if you have KDE.

libpythonize "mostly" worked, but in some situations it had what appear to be
threading or lib loading problems, and there were some other problems using
it with Qt Designer plugins. The basic ideas for it were probably sound, but
the implementation needed more work. I haven't had a lot of time lately to
look closely at what Simon and David are doing.

Jim