[PyKDE] dcop

Amand Tihon amand at alrj.org
Wed May 26 05:24:00 BST 2004

Hello,

I've been playing with pyKDE and DCOP these last few days, and I must say it
is not really easy. The main problem being I haven't been able to find any
documentation (as soon as I have something working, I'll put it on the wiki).

Up to now, I've managed to implement void functions.

But either there's something I didn't understand, or the python prototype of
DCOPObject.process() should be reviewed.

Currently, the replyType and replyData are passed as arguments (as it is in
C++). Their types are respectively QCString and QByteArray.
The replyType is not a real problem, as I can set it with the setStr() method.
However, pyKDE offers very few ways to interract with a QByteArray. And since
it is passed as reference, I cannot build one from a python string.

I'd like to be able to return at least a bool, an int, a QCString or a
QCStringList. I've already tried to play with some QDataStream, etc, but
pyKDE doesn't support the stream operators << and >>, and I couldn't obtain
any result.

Perhaps the process() method should return a tuple of (bool, [something]) ? I
don't know if it would be perfect, though.

Does anyone know how to solve this ?

Thanks.

--
Amand Tihon