[PyKDE] Systray icons in PyQt

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Thu May 27 00:27:01 BST 2004

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 03:52, Torsten Marek wrote:

> (sorry, but I'm too lazy right know to find out all the links). All
> you need to do is to call some functions in libX11.so. For that,
> you need the Display
> (qt_x11_display()) and the WindowID (QWidget.winId())

First of all: well done, Thorsten.

> So far, there are several ways to do the C calls from Python:
> - extension module
> - Pyrex
> - ctypes
>
> I chose the ctypes way and after some hassle (mostly typos!), I got

I would prefer a sip module. Since I tried to get it going, I also have
some valid reason.. It wasn't that easy to build ctypes self contained
(with the libffi snapshot statically linked)
I'm just uploading a rpm to pykde at sf.net for others with SuSE 9.0 to try:

http://sf.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61057&package_id=57413&release_id=241234

> it to actually work. It's not very advanced by now. To try it out,
> just replace the icon filename with something icon on your system.
> I put in all values in good faith and they are poorly documented
> right now, but I'll fix that later on.

More comments and some docs would be really great.

> I'll go to bed now....

Me, too.

Cheers,
Pete