[PyKDE] Using custom components and Qt Designer with QWidgetFactory in PyQt

Gustavo Barbieri barbieri at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 17:50:25 GMT 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:55:49 +0100, Truls A. Tangstad
<kerfue+pykde at herocamp.org> wrote:
> We've almost fully converted to designing all dialogboxes and other
> application windows in Qt Designer to use in our PyQt application, but
> I've come into a difficulty with wanting to use custom widgets
> created in Python with the Qt Designer designed dialogs.
>
> I've noted a tutorial[1] doing just that by embedding python code into
> the Comments field of the form, but that only seems to work when using
> pyuic to create python-code from the .ui-files. We use QWidgetFactory
> exclusively to generate the widgets runtime from the .ui-files, and
> using pyuic would put us back into gui-design stoneage again (gui
> mixed too much with other code, and hard to redesign components).
>
> Is there a way to use Qt Designer to embed python-created components
> into dialogs etc. when they are loaded with QWidgetFactory inty our
> python application?
>
> [1] - http://www.pycs.net/lateral/stories/27.html

http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~ra008849/downloads/pyqt-tutorial.tar.bz2

Is the rewite of that tutorial, but made right (instead of quick).
There you can see how to do that. The problem is that you cannot see
the preview or edit elements as before, but at least you keep things
separated. You could use a pixmap to mimic your component.

People that are writing another designer for qt/kde said they'll
improve this area.

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
Computer Engineer 2001 - UNICAMP
GPSL - Grupo Pro Software Livre