[PyKDE] Connect syntax.

Sundance sundance at ierne.eu.org
Wed Sep 22 19:11:37 BST 2004

I heard Phil Thompson said:

> I have a policy of not (if at all possible) changing or "enhancing"
> the API.

C++ Qt:

SomeWidget::SomeWidget () {
  // ...
  connect (this,         SIGNAL("whatever()"),        // <-- look!
           otherWidget,  SLOT("blah()"));
  // ...
}

Current PyQt:

class SomeWidget(QWidget):
  def __init__(self):
    # ...
    SELF.connect (self,         SIGNAL("whatever()"),  # <-- look!
                  otherWidget,  SLOT("blah()"))
    # ...

Keeping the same API as C++ Qt is in fact what I was suggesting. :) The
Qt API is /damn/ good. In this case as in others, I'd rather see the Qt
API adapted faithfully than bent slightly under one of Python's
idiosyncrasies.

Point taken about making connect an instance method, however.

-- S.