[PyKDE] Language Overhead: C++ vs Python

Wido Depping wido.depping at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 13:42:58 BST 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 2:24 PM, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:
> >From time to time we get commissioned to develop Python bindings for Qt
> based widget sets. These often come with examples and part of the work is
> to port those examples to Python. We then end up with C++ and Python
> implementations with the same structure, the same functionality, and
> calling the same API. Any difference in the amount of code is purely down
> to "language overhead".
>
> Below is a comparison of the numbers of lines of code for a number of such
> examples. For the C++ implementations I have excluded all .pro files and
> all qmake and moc generated files.
>
>              C++   Python   Reduction
> example_1    509     318       38%
> example_2    871     516       41%
> example_3    225     132       41%
> example_4    142      72       49%
> example_5    615     363       41%
> example_6     56      46       18%
> example_7   1445     764       47%
> example_8    536     312       42%

Hi Phil,
These are indeed nice results. But how is the performance of the
python implemented widgets? I've never done one myself and I wonder if
there is any visible speed difference.

By the way, are there any Python-implemented widgets available on the
net? There are some nice widgets in KDE (like Date selector), I would
like to integrate into my application. But I don't want my application
depend on PyKDE, since I want it to be portable on Unix, Mac OS X and
Windows.

mfg.
  Wido

--