[PyKDE] Next Releases of SIP, PyQt and QScintilla

Ulrich Berning ulrich.berning at desys.de
Thu Aug 11 14:39:27 BST 2005

Phil Thompson schrieb:

>I plan to release new versions of SIP, PyQt and QScintilla some time next
>week. The current snapshots can be treated as release candidates.
>
>There have been a number of subtle changes under the covers - now would be
>a good time to test with your favorite apps.
>
>QScintilla translations need updating again for the new batch file lexer -
>blame Detlev ;)
>
>Phil

I have a minor wish for the final release (if it's not too late).
PyQt's configure.py script sets opt_qsciincdir to the default value
sipcfg.qt_inc_dir (this is normally $QTDIR/include). This is the
directory, where configure.py looks for the qscintilla header files. I
don't like to pollute Qt's include directory with a number of non-Qt
header files, so I always put them into a subdirectory named "Qext" in
$QTDIR/include and use the -n flag when running configure.py. I do the
same for the qwt header files ("Qwt") and for the header files of my own
widget library ("Qds").

Phil, what do you think about changing the default value of
opt_qsciincdir to os.path.join(sipcfg.qt_inc_dir, "Qext")?
What do other people think about it?

Another pure cosmetic point (and not for the next release) is the name
"qext" for the module containing the bindings for qscintilla. I think
this name is inappropriate. At least for me, this name implies "a
collection of (Py)Qt related extensions", but in fact it contains only
the qscintilla classes. Wouldn't it be better to rename this to "qsci"
(and "Qsci" for the include directory) in a future release? What are
your opinions?

Ulli