[PyKDE] latest eric3 snapshot rocks!

Diez B. Roggisch deets at web.de
Tue Aug 23 12:39:28 BST 2005

Hi,

just got around testing the latest snapshot - great! The toolbar-search is
close to what I always dreamt of. Only a few  questions arose:

 - it's a combo-box - but for me, it doesn't do anything.
 - is it possible to bind the incremental search to some key?
 - same for "search next/prev incremental".

 I looked in the shortcuts, but no luck. Maybe I missed it - it's pretty
crowded in there by now.

And some semantics of the emacs incremental search I really like, so maybe
they are feasible, too:

1) If one presses C-s, the minibuffer opens, and one can start typing. The
equivalent here would be that the first press would put the focus into the
search field

2) if C-s is pressed again while in the minibuffer, the "search next"
functionality is executed - thus, no shortcut is "wasted". So if the focus is
in the search field, pressing the same shortcut would search again.

3) Pressing C-w while searching will expand the search term to the
word-boundary the cursor is currently over. I better explain this by example:

Let's say you have a few methods called "show_*", where * is of course
something like "tables" or "images" or whatever. Now when I want to find one
of these, e.g. show_tables, I type C-s, then type "show_". I then repeat
pressing C-s. Of course all strings containing show_ are found. Now when the
cursor is positioned over something like

self.show_^tables

with ^ indicating the cursor position.

I can press C-w, which will expand the search term to the next word boundary -
in this case show_tables. So I only search for that subsequently.

4) Pressing C-s twice when not in the minibuffer (or, so to speak, once again
with an empty buffer, as the first puts the focus there) will reuse the last
search term.

I don't know if and which of these things is easy to implement - I guess
having at least the possibility of shortcuts for "search next/prev" shouldn't
be too hard. All other stuff is just a suggestion.

All in all, it's always impressing at which speed eric evolves and how useful
for me it becomes - so far it's the only IDE that lured me away from XEmacs,
and that includes TogetherJ and Eclipse as failing competitors...

Regards,

Diez