[PyKDE] problems with sip

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Wed Aug 31 21:37:37 BST 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:46:54, Michael Mason wrote:

> Here is my configuration:
>
> Python 2.2.1
> gcc 3.2
> sip  3.11.1
>
> I'm in the process of  requesting that our sysadmin upgrade to new
> versions of everything, but for now I'm stuck using these older
> versions.

Ouch. That makes it slightly more difficult to diagnose. I'm now on the
other side of the Python 2.3 compatibility line.

> Here's my problem:
>
> A couple of weeks ago, I was able to complete the 'word' example in
> the sip documentation.  Then something happened to our servers (I keep
> asking our sysadmins what happened and get no responses - for
> instance, if there were any libraries updated, etc).

After reading the rest of your message, I think the answer is "yes". :-(

> Now, when try to 'import word' from within the Python interpreter, I
> get the following error:
>
> Python 2.2.1 (#1, Aug 30 2002, 12:15:30)
> [GCC 3.2 20020822 (Red Hat Linux Rawhide 3.2-4)] on linux2

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "word.py", line 5, in ?
>     import libsip
> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol:
> FT_Get_PS_Font_Info

Can you tell us which version of libfontconfig that is? What does
/usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 link to?

> From the googling that I've done, it  appears that I may have some
> freetype/fontconfig library problem.  If someone could help me
> diagnose the problem and at least describe in general the steps that I
> need to take to remedy this situation I would greatly appreciate it.

Apart from installing newer/older versions that might rectify the problem?
I can't think of a quick solution, I'm afraid.

>  I'm planning on using sip to generate bindings to some c++ libraries
> so that I can write a test suite for a simulation.  I figure that
> writing the tests in Python would be alot easier/quicker than writing
> them in c++.  I'm eager to get started, so I hope that this problem
> can be solved quickly.

I hope so, too. You could always install Python 2.3+ and sip 4.x as a
normal user and use those instead. Neither take too long to build.

David