[PyKDE] Problem building PyQt in Kdebindings 3.5

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Dec 12 17:37:39 GMT 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 05:45, Laurent Rathle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build Kdebindings 3.5 and it stops when it comes to PyQt.
> It's not that it stops with error, but the compilation hangs up on this :
>
> make[4]: Entering directory
> `/home/lolo/Logiciels/KDE-3.5/kdebindings-3.5.0/python/pyqt/qt'
> g++ -c -pipe -fPIC -O2  -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fomit-frame-pointer
> -march=i586 -mtune=pentiumpro -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_NO_DEBUG
> -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT
> -I/home/lolo/Logiciels/KDE-3.5/kdebindings-3.5.0/python/pyqt/qt
> -I/home/lolo/Logiciels/KDE-3.5/kdebindings-3.5.0/python/sip/siplib
> -I/usr/include/python2.4 -I/usr/lib/qt3//include -I/usr/X11R6/include -o
> sipqtpart0.o
> /home/lolo/Logiciels/KDE-3.5/kdebindings-3.5.0/python/pyqt/qt/sipqtpart0.cp
>
> and I can wait for hours, nothing happen. I have to kill the process. When
> I look at the processes with "ps", I get this :

I had a similar problem using gcc 4.0.2. Since you're compiling
sipqtpart0.cpp, that indicates the PyQt source files have been concatenated
into a single huge cpp file. The gcc 4.0.2 version with SuSE 10.0 didn't like
that, and produce odd errors and hung as you describe. To compile PyQt from
individual files, you need to re-generate the cpp files from the *.sip source
using configure.py *without* the -c switch.

The same is true for PyKDE, except (on older versions) you need to use the -i
switch with configure.py.  The current PyKDE snapshot should detect gcc 4 and
adapt appropriately.

Concatentation of cpp files speeds up compilation for PyQt and PyKDE by up to
80% with older gcc versions compared to compiling individual cpp files. gcc 4
is significantly faster with individual files, but (at least the version I
have) doesn't seem to work with the large cpp files concatenating produces.

Jim