[PyKDE] ANN: SIP v4.2rc2 Released

Nahuel Greco nahuel at puntorojo.com.ar
Mon Feb 21 15:12:15 GMT 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:51:46 +0000
Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

> I see the memory leak in the test_py_leak.py, but it's what I would expect
> given what the script does. Because QDialog has a parent, ownership (ie.
> responsibility for destroying the QDialog) is transfered to the parent. The
> statement...
>     f = None
> ...has no effect at all on the memory usage. The memory would only be
> recovered when the QMainWindow instance was garbage collected.
> The comments in the script state that there was no difference if the QDialog
> had no parent - I did not see that behaviour. If I changed the script...
>     f = QDialog()
> ...it executed in constant space - no memory leak.

Ok, testing with a parented QDialog() was an erroneous test, you are right.
But I keep seeing a memory leak with 'f = QDialog()', with a slower rate
that the parented one has. Note that I'm having also memory leaks with
"f = QString('1234 1234')" and  "f = QCustomEvent(1)".

I'm attaching the logs for these, please check if you can't see the
"f = QDialog()" memory leak after the same number of iterations that I do
(I added the iteration number to the log). The same for QString and
QCustomEvent.

I will install Gentoo to check this on that distribution.

Saludos,
Nahuel Greco.