[PyKDE] simulating an "infinite" canvas

Timothy Burt tburt at aptima.com
Sun Jan 9 00:11:13 GMT 2005

Hi!

I'm trying to find a way to make a drawing area seem infinitely wide
and high - so when objects move past the drawing area dimensions, the canvas
informs its viewer widget that the "size" of the drawing has changed.
If this viewer widget has scrollbars (like the usual QCanvasView does),
it could update them accordingly.  "Scrolling" would be more like a
coordinate translation (for example, the canvas could call the moveBy
method on all its objects to simulate scrolling).  Dia exhibits the
kind of behavior I hope to duplicate in a PyQt tool (but browsing its
source hasn't been helpful so far).

I've had no luck subclassing QCanvasView to produce this behavior, and
I haven't done any better with QScrollView.  I haven't turned up anything
by googling yet either.  Any suggestions?

Thanks very much!
-Tim