[PyKDE] arts

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Jul 8 06:49:47 BST 2005

On Thursday 07 July 2005 20:15, Patrick Stinson wrote:
> Jim: what are you thoughts on supporting the various audio mechanisms
> in kde, besides KAudioPlayer?

> Being able to launch some streams and play some from the net would be
> nice. PyMediaPlayer? excellent.

> I wrote a touchscreen-stereo product that plays oggs, but I'd like to
> be able to take advantage of streaming urls and all of hte media
> support built into kmultimedia, etc.

Are you thinking of something like a plugin architecture or bindings for
complete libs? If libs, which ones? I haven't looked at KDE's audio stuff in
quite a while.

In general, bindings using sip are pretty easy to do, as long as they're not
heavily template-based - most of KDE isn't. The problem would be that long
term I probably can't commit to maintaining anything additional (I have
enough trouble keeping up with PyKDE). I'd be happy to take a look at what's
involved if you can be more specific. Depending on what's involved, I can
generate a "starter set" of bindings pretty quickly for some stuff, or
provide some assistance if you want to go at it.

Jim