[PyKDE] Problem with layout iterators

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Sat Jul 9 14:53:00 BST 2005

Hello again

My earlier post on this got no response, so I suppose my description of the
problem was no good :-(

So - I hope this is a bit clearer:

QLayoutIterator should produce objects which *inherit* QLayoutItem (such as a
QLayout, QWidgetItem or QSpacerItem). However, it currently produces only
"bare" QLayoutItems:

>>> # using python 2.4.1 pyqt 3.14.1 and sip 4.2.1
>>> from qt import *
>>> a = QApplication([])
>>> d = QFileDialog()
>>> c = d.layout().iterator().current()
>>> type(c).mro()

This is wrong, because QLayoutItem is an abstract class only intended for
sub-classing. It matters, because a "bare" QLayoutItem can only produce empty
iterators and has no access to the object it is laying out:

>>> if not c.isEmpty(): repr(c.iterator().current())
'None'
>>> repr(c.layout()) # sub-class would return a QHBoxLayout, here
'None'

Can this be fixed, so that only the correct sub-classes are produced by the
layout iterators, please?

--
Baz Walter