[PyKDE] Problems with a port of C++/Qt book to Python

Douglas Soares de Andrade dsa at unilestemg.br
Mon Jul 18 16:30:10 BST 2005

Hi Eron !

> Quite an ambitious project!

But there is a urgent need for initiatives like that, all of us know that Qt
is better today than gtk. But i see that when new people comes to or ground
they are almost always lost, without knowing where to go.

This is a tentative of solving this, and feeding then with some info.

> What you see there is a typical class
> constructor. In PyQt, you would want something along the lines of:

> class FindDialog(QDialog):
>     def __init__(self, parent, name):
>         QDialog.__init__(self, parent, name)

> What it is doing is defining the FindDialog constructor, accepting the
> arguments parent and name, initializing its superclass QDialog, and passing
> it the two arguments.

Understood. Im not yet so much confident with this C++ constructions, but i
want to sharp this skill with this project.

> There is quite a bit of complicated C++ in the later chapters. Are you
> going to be able to handle it?

I will study and search to see if i can solve by myself, if not, i will need
help of the list.

> What would be nice is a detailed translation
> guide for Qt/C++ to PyQt/Python.

Yes, i really miss it.

> I started something along those lines,
> building on the work done in the appendix of the PyQt book. On that
> thought, it probably would be a better idea to update the PyQt book, and
> perhaps begin reshaping it for (Py)Qt4!

Yes. You right.
Thank you very much for the help !

--