[PyKDE] Re: PyQt as a statically compiled shared library...

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Tue Jun 14 15:15:47 BST 2005

"Truls A. Tangstad" <kerfue+pykde at herocamp.org> writes:

> So it's possible to create a single RPM usable on
> Fedora/SuSE/Mandrake? What about non-rpm systems like
> gentoo/slackware?
>
> (I have no experience in packaging for non-debian systems)

They can install RPM as well.  There's a package of it for Slackware, IIRC.
They'll have to worry with dependencies, though.  And this is one of the
reasons that LSB adopted one standard...

> > This is a bad approach, IMHO.  It wastes a lot of resources since
> > the system won't be able to share already loaded libraries.  Besides
> > that, the size of your programs will also get very big, making it
> > harder to download...
>
> Yes, I know the tradeoffs, but the most important thing is having an
> easy install that works for all systems.

I'd avoid using something like that, unless there's no other way to accomplish
something that I really need to...  But you have your reasons, of course.

> One problem we would have is testing and specifying versions. One
> distribution might be very up to date, and provide libraries of
> version which we require, others might be too old, or even too new. If
> we stuff everything required into one package, all we should end up
> depending on is the libc/glibc (hopefully), but then again, we'd have
> to package in everything except the kitchen sink...

This is true...  But then, again, how big are you willing to make it?  I still
think that a dynamic package is better than a stactic one.  But that is just
my opinion and I don't really know what you have there.  It might be worth...

--
Jorge Godoy      <godoy at ieee.org>