[PyKDE] Re: PyQt as a statically compiled shared library...

Truls A. Tangstad kerfue+pykde at herocamp.org
Tue Jun 14 20:39:21 BST 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:40:41AM -0400, Dan Sommers wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:58:10 +0200,
> "Truls A. Tangstad" <kerfue+pykde at herocamp.org> wrote:

> > > This is a bad approach, IMHO.  It wastes a lot of resources since
> > > the system won't be able to share already loaded libraries.  Besides
> > > that, the size of your programs will also get very big, making it
> > > harder to download...
>
> > Yes, I know the tradeoffs, but the most important thing is having an
> > easy install that works for all systems.
>
> Does "all systems" include non-x86 hardware, too?  That's an awful lot
> of binaries to maintain!

Well, I have to admit my current world revolves around linux-distros
and windows at the moment, with osx on the horizon, so my definition
of "all systems" is practically abit more narrow than some others.

> I'd stick with letting the existing package managers do the hard work.

Existing package managers? Any takers?

--
Truls A. Tangstad - <kerfue+pykde at h e r o c a m p.org>