[PyKDE] Eric3 Usability Questions / Feedback

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Thu Mar 17 18:36:51 GMT 2005

Am Mittwoch, 16. März 2005 00:08 schrieb Diez B. Roggisch:
> Hi,
>
> > 1) In the Project Forms Browser show the context menu and select "New
> > form...". This shows you a selection dialog with the most common form
> > types to select from and opens Qt Designer.
> >
> > 2) Start Qt-Designer and save your form to its final destination in the
> > project tree. Then select "Add form..." from the same context menu.
>
> It would be cool if the first context menu action would ask for the
> filename (the destination is known by the context the context menu is
> created in :), create a template and then one would just need to save the
> file in the designer.
>
> > Just open a new editor, enter your script and select the action "Save to
> > project".
>
> Better than I do so far (I create, save and then manually add) but what I
> would love is a python-file-view context menu that lets me create a new
> file in the directory/package dir I click on, enter a filename and then
> open the file in python mode. So far, I have to first save the file for
> once so I can have python syntax features.

That could be done. Right now, directories don't have a context menu. Maybe,
you can specify the entries, a context menu for directories should have in
the various project browser.

> > You can't remove them, but you can hide them.  Just deselect the unwanted
> > toolbars in the Window->Toolbars menu.
>
> Ok, good to know. But "standard" is to have a context menu for that too,
> which I tried and it gives me "only" the views menu - a checkable toolbar
> list would be great!

You are right. I just checked the Qt documentation and that is, what it should
do. Unfortunately, I cannot see a reason, why the toolbars aren't shown in
the context menu. Maybe you spot something.

> > Most of the stuff you expect is probably somewhere in eric3. It's just a
> > matter of finding the right place. Or as another user said, I should stop
> > to underestimate eric3.
>
> It is there, and so it should be no trouble making it available at some
> other places, with possibly some default value extracted from context - for
> example, the new python file could go to the package/dir where it was
> created from and so on.
>
> Some other, so far unmetioned quirks: I often have to open files that are
> _not_ python files. By now, the open-dialog will always open with *py as
> default. I would love to see a feature where the file type would be
> determined from the current project browser tab. Certainly not so important
> for translation and idl files, but for python, ui and others this would be
> more important.

The default file extension for the open dialog is determined by the extension
of the current editor. That means, if the current editor is a Python file,
*.py is selected, if it is an IDL file, *.idl is selected and so on.

> And and outline view of idl files would be great, too. As I have some
> syntax analysis background, I'd be glad to contribute that if you'd give me
> the right starting points - for example where to put it in the source, and
> which parser to use (I personally prefer spark, but if you already have
> something in use for other outlines, I'd stick with that)

What do you mean by "outline view"?

> I use eric increasingly for my python development and would love to see it
> grow in functionality as well as usability. So please take these remarks as
> suggestions to improve a even now great tool, not as nitpicking criticism.

Suggestions are always welcome.

> Diez

Detlev
--