[PyKDE] Using comboboxes indexes for referencing data

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue May 10 21:59:02 BST 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 13:15, Jorge Godoy wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm using some comboboxes in an application and I'd like to know if there's
> some way to use both information it contains simultaneously:
>
>         - text
>
> I'd like to show the text and to make the index contain a reference to
> other stuff.  It works great if my data has no holes in it, but I get the
> following message if I try to insert a record with index 0 and a second
> record with index 3:
>
>         QComboBox::insertItem: (cbCodigo) Index 3 out of range
>
> I used to work that way with wxPython and I'd really like to maintain some
> logic with pyQt.
>
> Is it possible or not?  Docs doesn't mention anything at all about that.

In the case of QComboBox, "index" refers to an item's position in the combo
box's list of items. The list of items is a list of strings.

There are a number of ways to do what you want, but they would be things like
maintaining a separate data structure which maps items and (your) index
values, or subclassing QComboBox to do that for you automatically. The
implementation would depend a lot on your application.

Jim