[PyKDE] PyQt Applet on Mac

Kevin Walzer sw at wordtech-software.com
Sat May 28 18:06:59 BST 2005

PyQt-Mac is built against Apple's system installation of Python (the one
whose home is /System/Library...). This is the case on both Panther
(10.3) and Tiger (10.4). The separate MacPython installation (2.4.1 is
the latest version) can't see PyQt. I'm thinking about moving to
supporting MacPython when Qt 4 is released, but not until then. If you
want to use PyQt against a non-Apple verison of Python right now, you'll
have to build everything yourself.

If you want to save an applet that sees PyQt, you'll need to save it
against the Apple system installation. You can do this using the
MacPython add-ons for Panther, available at the Pythonmac site (see my
web page for the link at http://www.wordtech-software.com/python.html ).
The MacPython add-ons (which add the PythonIDE and build-applet stuff,
but not Python itself, because they are built against Apple's
installation) should help you in this regard.

Cheers,

Kevin Walzer, PhD
WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
http://www.wordtech-software.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
mailto:sw at wordtech-software.com