[PyKDE] Deployment on Windows? > license compatible

Ulrich Berning ulrich.berning at t-online.de
Sat Nov 19 00:41:14 GMT 2005

Michael Zimmermann schrieb:

>Hi Uli,
>

>>Take a look at the VendorID package
>>(www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/vendorid). This may be exactly what you
>>are searching for.
>>

>yes and no :-()
>
>If I read the information on the website correctly, I can restrict the
>import of modules to certain executable files (how to do this for our cad
>system integrated interpreter is another issue). This is similar to
>compiling the pyqt modules statically into a python interpreter. But using
>this interpreter the user would still be able to write pyqt applications
>hence violating the license of qt and pyqt (commercial).

Compiling the pyqt modules statically into a python interpreter results
in a generic interpreter, that can run any python script. This
interpreter still violates Trolltech's commercial license agreement.
The idea of the VendorID package is to create a specialized interpreter
binary (with the help of sib.py) that contains at least your application
main script. With this specialized interpreter, you can only run your
application, nothing else. The vendorid static library
(vendorid.lib/libvendorid.a), that is linked with this special
interpreter allows the import of pyqt modules for this interpreter.
The generic python interpeter (python[.exe]) can only import pyqt
modules, if the vendorid extension module is available
(vendorid.pyd/vendorid.so). This module will never be distributed, it is
only available for qt licensees to help developing their applications
without the need to build specialized interpreters at development time
again and again, because their main script/modules have changed.
Distributing the vendorid extension module violates the commercial
license agreement again.

>Well, I am just not sure how cautios we have to be to avoid users using
>the pyqt libs for development. Here, imho, the documenation is slightly
>lacking about possible solutions one has to use.
>
>Anyway, I will have a closer look at vendorid on monday.... using the
>module might help more than just reading the docs....
>
>cu, Michael

Don't hesitate to ask, if you have any questions.

Ulli