[PyKDE] New PyKDE snapshot

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Oct 14 05:31:27 BST 2005

I'm in the process of sending the latest PyKDE snapshot to Phil for posting on
at http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/snapshots/PyKDE. It's
snapshot20051013. It should be available within 24 to 48 hours.

The changes are:

Cleaned up sip files for gcc 3.4.x/4.0.x compatibility
================================

This should allow people using gcc 3.4.x or 4.0.x to compile and load PyKDE -
the unresolved symbol problems should be fixed (except see below)

Replaced sipNewCppToSelf instances with sipBuildResult
Updated configure.py to use pyqtconfig.py for Qt environment info

These are for sip compatibility - PyKDE should now build with both previous
and current (snapshot) versions of sip and PyQt.

Dropped kdesu (undefined symbol problem)
Added -fno-rtti to kdeprint compile
Dropped driver.sip from kdeprint
Backed out konsolepart code (undefined symbol problem)
===================================

These are problems I ran into on SuSE 10. driver.sip was part of the gcc
compatibility problem. kdesu and konsolepart have problems with unresolved
symbols (at least with the SuSE 10 libs, but I suspect other libs as well).
konsolepart was added by request this past summer, but there are fundamental
problems resolving symbols. After fixing a few, I still got
someClass::className() undefined errors for QObject derived classes - there's
no way to prevent sip from generating this based on inheritance (and probably
shouldn't be). It appears that KDE compile settings are optimizing out some
symbols, which sip can't do.

The same holds for kdesu, but I had an additional problem there where the
kdesu.so lib was picking up a symbol from the h file that wasn't in the
sip-generated files, and this symbol didn't exist in KDE's libkdesu. That
might be fixable, but in the little stuff I've tried with kdesu, it didn't
work very well from PyKDE, and I doubt it's in wide use. If someone really
has an application for kdesu, let me know and I'll put some work into it.
Otherwise, I'll probably drop the module entirely.