[PyKDE] Windows version of eric3 won't start.

Bjoern Paschen bj0ern at gmx.de
Wed Oct 19 09:11:37 BST 2005

Hi there.

I installed the GPL QT package for windows from the download section of the
eric3 homepage and the newest eric3 version 3.7.2 from sf.net.
I am running Active Python 2.4.1.
Eric throws me an exception when i start eric3.py in the commandline.
(eric3.pyw which is started through the icon doesn't print any error
messages, so i chose eric3.py)
The message is the following:
---
C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\eric3>eric3.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\eric3\eric3.py", line 23, in ?
    from Utilities import Startup
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\eric3\Utilities\Startup.py", line 18,
in ?

    import Preferences
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\eric3\Preferences\__init__.py", line
1461,
 in ?
    from Shortcuts import readShortcuts, saveShortcuts, exportShortcuts,
importS
hortcuts
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\eric3\Preferences\Shortcuts.py", line
20,
in ?
    from XML.XMLErrorHandler import XMLErrorHandler, XMLFatalParseError
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\eric3\XML\XMLErrorHandler.py", line
10, in
 ?
    from xml.sax.handler import ErrorHandler
ImportError: No module named sax.handler

C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\eric3>
---
So.. I tried to check this (as a python newbie) by writing a small...

from xml.sax.handler import ErrorHandler
print "Hello"

... script and check if it would throw a similar error, which it does not.
It runs without problems.
So, has anyone an idea what might be going wrong during the start of eric on
my system? Please enligten me :)

cheers...
bjoern