[PyKDE] QString in PyQt4 - Request for Comments

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Thu Oct 20 13:42:43 BST 2005

Simon Edwards <simon at simonzone.com> wrote:

> We could do something ugly like make QTextEdit.text() return a Python
string
> (which is what most people want most of the time), and then add a keyword
> argument "qstring_please" for the case where QString is desired...
optimises
> the common case (for people) and makes the not so common case possible...

I wouldn't mind this. I wouldn't even mind a global option like
qt.returnQStringPlease(True).

>> but those can find their place in a
>> library which wraps Qt/PyQt with the goal to provide a more Pythonic API.
>
> You want 2 libraries?
>
> How practical is it anyway to replace the Python wrapper of QTextEdit, for
> example, with an extended version (Python code) that adds more Pythonic
> goodness?

Yes, I believe it would good to have two libraries. It's orthogonal to this
string issue though, but I wouldn't mind a more Pythonic way to use Qt. I'm
sure there are dozen of things that could be done easily in Python and are
harder in Qt because of C++. Of course, this is a totally different project,
because you'd get additional new different APIs to create and access the Qt
classes. I'm just saying that the scope of PyQt shouldn't be too make a
Python version of Qt: it should be to wrap Qt to Python.

This string issue is of course very borderline, and I don't think it's
inappropriate for PyQt to return Python strings from methods, as long as
there is still a way to access QStrings if needed for any reason.
--
Giovanni Bajo