[PyKDE] QString in PyQt4 - Request for Comments

Diez B. Roggisch deets at web.de
Fri Oct 21 12:17:17 BST 2005

> I disagree with Giovanni.  I signal signatures could be made somewhat
> more pythonic without the adverse impact.  For example, it could remove
> the C++ constant, pointer and reference indicators ("const", "*" and
> "&") that Python-only programmers don't really understand.  As long as
> the change was consistent, you would not need to use a second manual.
> And it would make it easier to remember some signatures without referring
> to a manual or wondering whether the parameter was a constant, pointer
> or reference.

If the change could be made whilst supporting the "old" fully qualified
format, I'm all for it.

> Regarding the more general questions, I also think that things should be
> made a bit more pythonic without deviating much from the Qt API.
> Python unicode strings should be returned in place of QString, maybe
> with a way of using a switch to get the QString if desired.  And I think
> that Python containers should be used in place of Qt's template
> containers.

These two points I totally support - QString has bitten me more than once, and
using the template classes appears somewhat archaic to me - especially
because python is so strong and neatly integrated in the field of iterators
and so on.

Regards,

Diez