[PyKDE] PyKDE update

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Sep 23 04:28:57 BST 2005

PyKDE development hasn't moved too quickly the last few months. I finally have
firewood put up for the winter, my daughter off to college, and some other
things out of the way, so I expect to get back on it soon.

The forthcoming SuSE 10 release will be gcc 4.0.2 based - I have my order in
and expect to have it in about 2 weeks, so that will allow me to finally
clean up the gcc related bugs. In addition, KDE 3.5beta1 is out, and by the
time I get past the gcc stuff and some other patches, KDE 3.5 should be well
enough along to package support for that in the next release.

Phil's post regarding sipconfig.py today may mean that PyKDE won't build with
the newest sip releases, because configure.py for PyKDE probably looks for Qt
info in sipconfig.py, and it's no longer there. Not a difficult fix, and I
can get that out earlier if necessary - otherwise that will be in the next
release too.

Any feature requests, bug reports, etc would be appreciated. I don't plan to
add anything new to PyKDE for KDE 3.x versions unless there's a compelling
reason, but will entertain changes for KDE 4 if anyone knows what's going on
there (haven't looked at it myself).

Otherwise, your best bet is still the most recent snapshot or the kde-bindings
packages that Simon Edwards produces on the KDE CVS (for compiling from
source, anyway).

Jim