[PyKDE] Newbie getting started on Debian

Jon jonlistmail at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:52:22 BST 2005

Hi Torsten, Andreas.

I added sources for unstable and got the python-kde3 source.

$ apt-get source python-kde3
$ cd python-kde3-3.11.3
$ fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage

dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: <several here> ...
dpkg-buildpackage: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting.

I installed a few of the dependencies using apt-get -t unstable until
python2.3-qt3, which wanted to install a whole lot of KDE 3.4. I didn't
want this much from sid.

Wasn't sure where to go with that, so I went back to the snapshot
source, compiled with gcc-3.3. It compiled ok, I installed it, but the
permissions on everything under /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages were
wrong. Had to change them to successfully run importTest.py as non-root.

Finally I tried to run an example, but I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "uisampler.py", line 6, in ?
    from kdecore import KApplication, KCmdLineArgs, KAboutData
ImportError: cannot import name KApplication

Looks like I have made a mess of it. I couldn't find anything in the
troubleshooting doc. Any ideas from here?

Thanks,
Jon