[PyKDE] Newbie getting started on Debian

Torsten Marek shlomme at gmx.net
Thu Sep 29 18:12:34 BST 2005

Jon schrieb:
> Hi Torsten, Andreas.
>
> I added sources for unstable and got the python-kde3 source.
>
> $ apt-get source python-kde3
> $ cd python-kde3-3.11.3
> $ fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage
>
> dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: <several here> ...
> dpkg-buildpackage: Build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting.
>
> I installed a few of the dependencies using apt-get -t unstable until
> python2.3-qt3, which wanted to install a whole lot of KDE 3.4. I didn't
> want this much from sid.

Ah, I oversaw that sip 4.2 and PyQt 3.14 aren't in etch. And it's a PITA that
g++ 4.0 is already the default compiler in etch. Sorry for leading you into the
wrong direction.

> Wasn't sure where to go with that, so I went back to the snapshot
> source, compiled with gcc-3.3. It compiled ok, I installed it, but the
> permissions on everything under /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages were
> wrong. Had to change them to successfully run importTest.py as non-root.
>
> Finally I tried to run an example, but I get this error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "uisampler.py", line 6, in ?
>     from kdecore import KApplication, KCmdLineArgs, KAboutData
> ImportError: cannot import name KApplication
>
> Looks like I have made a mess of it. I couldn't find anything in the
> troubleshooting doc. Any ideas from here?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

I've built python-kde3 3.11.3-4 for etch. Please get the packages from
http://diotaveli.net/files/pykde-debian-etch

There's are README in this directory, which reads:

This is an unofficial build of python-kde3 3.11.3-4 for etch,
using sip 4.1.1 and PyQt 3.13. Please do not file any bugs against
this package, since it does not exist in Debian. There will be no
updates for this package, if you want to have an official build, you
need to wait for libqt3-mt, sip 4.3+ and PyQt 3.15+ and KDE 3.4 entering
unstable.
Do note that this version of PyKDE is rather old, so if you encounter any
bugs, consider the mailing list archives or the changelog of a newer PyKDE
snapshot before reporting a duplicate resp. already fixed bug.
== end==

I hope the package works for you, please notify me!

greetings & happy hacking

Torsten

- --
Torsten Marek <shlomme at gmx.net>
ID: A244C858 -- FP: 1902 0002 5DFC 856B F146  894C 7CC5 451E A244 C858
Keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net