[PyKDE] exception handling problems with sip

Jacob M. Burbach jacobb at cfl.rr.com
Thu Apr 13 10:41:14 BST 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 9:29, Jacob M. Burbach wrote:
> On Monday 10 April 2006 4:50, Jacob M. Burbach wrote:
> > Was hesitant to post to list about this being unsure if its actually a
> > problem with sip(the generated code look fine). But after a series of
> > tests the problem only arises when using sip so...
> >
> > I'm wrapping a C++ library which makes heavy use of exceptions for its
> > error handling, theres a base Exception class which more specific
> > exceptions are derived from.
> >
> > Everything seemed to be working fine, until building the extension module
> > without debug symbols. Without debug the exceptions were no longer caught
> > and cause the program to abort. For some reason, when built without
> > debug, all exceptions are then received ONLY as the base Exception class.
> >
> > try {
> > 	throw SpecificException();
> > }
> > catch (SpecificException& sipExceptionRef) {
> > 	// Works as expected when built with debug symbols.
> > 	// NOT caught when built without debug symbols.
> > }
> >
> > I am really confused about what is going on here...
> >
> > I've put together a small test package containing a tiny C++ library that
> > throws exceptions, along with the sip files to build a wrapper for it. I
> > also included handwritten python wrapper to show that the problem is only
> > when using sip. See the README in the package for more details...
> >
> > http://home.cfl.rr.com/filedump/sip_exception_testcase.tar.bz2
> >
> > using sip 4.4.1 and Python 2.4
>
> Am I really the only one to come across this problem?
>
> Tested: gcc-3.3 with sip-4.4.1 and python2.3
> Tested: gcc-3.4.5 with (sip-4.4.1|sip-snapshot) and python2.4
>
> Same behaviour with all.
>
> If anyone would be willing to try the test case out and report back, or can
> think of anything that might cause this, or anything I can try to fix this
> I would greatly appreciate it.

Well if I weren't blind I probably would have noticed that the only real
difference in the compiler output between debug/ndebug was the addition of
`-Wl,--version-script=Foo.exp'.

After removing this bit from the Makefile the problem does go away. So I guess
now the question is, what exactly is this flag for, and why does it break the
module?