[PyKDE] Suggestions for approach on GUI design for CLI program

Lee Braiden lee.b at digitalunleashed.com
Mon Aug 7 09:25:20 BST 2006

Hi Frank,

On Friday 04 August 2006 13:26, Frank Aune wrote:
> Im currently working on a python CLI program, which output the result in
> XML. Im also going to design and write a GUI frontend in PyQt for this
> program, and in that respect Im wondering if someone has any good
> guidelines or clever approaches on how to do interact with CLI backend etc.
>
> I dont know if this is enough information, so perhaps more directly what Im
> wondering about is how GUI frontends in general are written for CLI
> programs?

A better approach would be to write a shared backend library, and just have
two guis frontends; the CLI one, and the GUI one.  That way, you don't have
the command line bottle neck in between, where you lose power because the CLI
interface is designed for users rather than application writers.  It also
encourages good clean design, with UI separation.

--
Lee Braiden
http://DigitalUnleashed.com

"I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field
somewhere and don't notice it."                       -- Alice Walker