[PyKDE] Pytray

Gavin gavingc at aapt.net.au
Wed Aug 23 04:11:58 BST 2006

Hey Guys and Gals,

So I wrote a small but fairly useful python program
that I thought would make a good applet. Then on attempting to
dock/imbed it in the kde kicker I find that this procedure
is causing a lot of people pain.

So here's the question is it not possible/easier to build
a C applet/tray that will swallow any python script written for it?

Kind of along the same lines as the 'System Tray' or 'Task Bar'
call it perhaps 'Python Tray/Bar'. Then all the user has to do
is load it and point its config to the python script/s.
The 'Dock Application Bar' does this for dock apps but it's
not very flexible. Perhaps I'm missing some terrible complication
or maybe someone already knows exactly how this could be cleanly done?
Either way please let me know any thoughts gavinkz(at)webmail(dot)co(dot)za.
I would be happy to offer my meager coding and testing skills at which point
I guess I would subscribe ;-)

Have a good one.