[PyKDE] PyKDE example app(s).. what do *you* have? :)

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Sun Feb 19 01:09:52 GMT 2006

> It's only a matter of time before high-level programming like this will
> take off, IMHO. It still pains me to see someone waste there time with
> pre-compilation and syntax soup to write some of the new apps we see. My

Certainly. Especially when interfacing with C, even up to hardware driver
level. I haven't used it because mplayer is just better, but I could capture
TV through Python after an afternoon of playing with swig. It's the
almost-instant reward that I like so much. And the availability of many
libs/bindings.

> You're right, the more code we get out there the better, especially because
> success with python is all about reading and learning (again, my opinion).

Yeah. If one thing stands out in my experience that most of the time you're
reading docs/doing research. I'd say easily 50%. Then documenting and other
things like perhaps some graphics work, including in-code documenting: 20%.
Testing and install/build scripts 10%, actual coding 10%, misc trying out
stuff/debugging on the py prompt 10%.

All the reading seems a waste of time at first but that's normal when you
plunge into a new subject. In the end, I feel that kind of "meta-knowledge"
is what makes you be faster and better _and_ more open minded to different
solutions.

David, I added kbtv to the wiki list of apps. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Dan