[PyKDE] Dropping SIGNAL() and SLOT() in PyQt4?

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sun Feb 19 14:30:53 GMT 2006

Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

> (In fact I don't see why Qt still needs SIGNAL() and SLOT() - maybe
> the speed penalty of the alternative is more an issue at the C++
> level.)

Nah. There's boost::signal, which is a full-blown signal/slot implementation
which works totally at compile time and has zero overhead. In fact, there is
technically *nothing* that moc does which cannot be done with C++ and some
advanced tecniques. But Trolltech seems to like the separate compilation step
more than templates.

> So, what so you think? Is dropping them to much of a cultural change?
> (Of course they could also be made optional.)

I'm fine with dropping them as long as they're optional.

Giovanni Bajo